in the heart of Essex
Updated 29th April 2017: to ensure you are looking at the latest version of this page press F5
WEB site corrections? Comments? Suggestions? Contact WEBMASTER
Churches within the Braintree District
Christ Church, in the historic market town of Braintree 12 miles north of Chelmsford, is an ecumenical partnership between the Methodist Church and the United Reformed Church with 161 joint members. The two morning services are of different styles: one tending to the more traditional, the other with a worship band.
The Methodist church in Witham, a Georgian town 7 miles north-east of Chelmsford, has been present in the town since 1837. The premises were refurbished in recent years, and feature an attractive welcome area as you enter the building. There are 54 members, and worship is fairly traditional, with a choir. Sue King is the minister.
After worshipping together since 1998 first in a portakabin and then in a community hall, several denominations have finally been able to build an ecumenical church centre in Great Notley Garden Village, which lies just south of Braintree. The new church was finished in August 2010, and is sited on Bridge End Lane. Beth Bendrey, an Anglican priest, has pastoral care of the church, and services reflect the four denominations involved: Methodist, Baptist, United Reformed and Anglican. The Roman Catholics are associate partners. There are 58 members.
Christ Church, Coggeshall (*)
The town of Halstead lies to the north of Braintree. The premises of Halstead Methodist Church, on New Street, were opened in 1875. The church has 36 members. For pastoral care the ministry is linked with Christ Church Braintree. There are references to a Methodist Society in Halstead since 1837.
The commuter village of Hatfield Peverel lies between Chelmsford and Witham. Methodism has been present since 1875. The building is on The Street, close to the post office. A small, largely elderly congregation of 12 members runs a weekly Thursday morning Open Door where people of all faiths and none meet. There is also a monthly coffee morning on a Saturday. Sue King is the minister.
Coggeshall lies between Braintree and Colchester. Non-conformists are known to have worshipped in this market town since 1672, and an Independent chapel was erected in 1710. That building, formerly a Congregational church, now hosts Christ Church, the ecumenical free church, which is a partnership between the United Reformed Church, the Baptist Union and the Methodist Church.
For further information on each church click on the name of the church above the photograph. (*) denotes no external website
Chelmsford Methodist Circuit is not responsible for external web content.